6 Commonly Asked Questions About Modular Homes
There are many questions to be asked about modular and manufactured homes.
Modular homes are affordable options if you want to own your dream home while staying within your budget.
At Baird Homes, we offer a wide range of manufactured and modular homes from some of the best manufacturers in the industry, including:
If you’re interested in buying your first manufactured or modular home, check out the answers to some common questions we get asked:
1. What’s The Difference Between Manufactured and Modular Homes?
While there are large similarities, the differences are undeniable. Here are just a few key points when it comes to modular and manufactured homes:
- Modular and manufactured homes are both created by forming contemporary architectural designs by use of a CAD (computer-aided design) program, breaking the construction into unique floor plans. These sections are then manufactured according to HUD for manufactured or the individual State’s building codes for modular homes.
- Manufactured homes are attached to a fixed steel frame and chassis. Construction is primarily finished in the factory – including flooring, appliances, countertops, etc.
- Modular homes are lifted by use of a crane or rolled onto the foundation, whereas manufactured homes are mostly spotted into place by transport or translift. Thus, some appliances and other finishes are completed after the home is set.
2. Are Modular Homes Safe?
Like site-built homes, modular homes are stable and safe for living even in severe weather conditions.
The high-quality materials used in construction ensures that the homes have the structural integrity to hold up against extreme weather and acts of nature.
Installation levels can be adjusted to keep away floodwaters, while a robust permanent foundation reinforces its stability in case of earthquakes.
If you live in a location prone to strong winds, modular homes are designed to withstand strong winds of up to 175mph.
If you want to learn more about how these homes handle different climates and adverse weather, check out this post!
3. Are They Customizable?
The beauty of our homes is that you have a hand in deciding how your finished house will look.
You get the chance to customize your home to fit your family’s needs as well as your style and preferences.
Champion Homes offers a wide variety of customization options to suit everyone.
When you stop in at Baird Homes, take a tour of the models at our sales centers and get a taste of how your home can look and feel, so you know what to expect after you buy.
Check out this post to learn more about customization options!
4. Why Are Manufactured and Modular Homes Less Expensive?
Manufactured and modular homes are generally budget-friendly compared to site-built homes.
The relatively low prices of these homes are a result of manufacturers like Champion Homes buying building materials in bulk, which means less cost per item.
Lower labor costs are due to the shorter building time and specialization by the workforce, which also contributes to the low production costs.
To add another advantage, there’s less wasted materials since extra lumber is reused in the building of other homes.
5. What Are My Financing Options?
As with site-built homes, you can purchase modular and manufactured homes through various financing options.
Financing tends to be easier if you’re a landowner since you have a tangible form of collateral.
Other than traditional mortgages, you can access federally-insured loans like:
- VA (Veterans Affairs)
- USDA (United States Department of Agriculture)
- FHA (US Federal Housing Administration)
If you don’t own the land you’re placing your modular home on, then the best option is chattel or home-only financing.
Most lenders ask for a down payment, among other conditions before advancing loans.
A downfall of a home-only loan is that it can limit the kind of home improvements you can make around your manufactured or modular home.
6. Where Can I Buy a Manufactured or Modular Home?
Manufacturers and builders cannot directly sell their homes to the public, they must partner with bonded and licensed dealers.
That’s where Baird Homes comes into the picture. Baird works with the builder to provide not only the home, but the full service of helping the buyer from foundation to plumbing.
You can buy a manufactured or modular home from our sales center located in Leesburg, Florida!
Are you looking for a manufactured or modular home that is affordable, safe, and durable?
Above all, Baird Homes is here to help.
Contact us today and realize your dream of being a homeowner!